US Supreme Court allows $400M Trump ballroom project to proceed

Demolition work continued where the East Wing once stood at the White House on Dec. 8, 2025. President Donald Trump ordered the 123-year-old East Wing and Jacqueline Kennedy Garden leveled to make way for a new 90,000-square-foot ballroom. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
WASHINGTON β President Donald Trump can continue building a White House ballroom for now, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Friday, reversing a federal judgeβs order that barred above-ground construction on the grounds of the former East Wing.
The one-pageΒ order from Chief Justice John Roberts allows the justices more time to consider the legal arguments as to whether the president can continue with construction.Β
The National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States, a nonprofit Congress created to protect public buildings, sued to block construction late last year.Β The group charged that Trump violated the U.S. Constitution and federal law when he demolished part of the White House last July without approval from Congress.Β
The trust wrote in its brief to the high court that the trial courtβs pause should remain in place because any progress on the project could not easily be undone.
βWe are grateful for the Decision of the United States Supreme Court,β Trump wrote on social media after the order. βThe Military/Ballroom Complex being built on the hallowed grounds of the White House, which is so vital for National Security, will be THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND! Construction is under budget and ahead of schedule.β
Trump has argued the 90,000-square-foot ballroom β which the administration said this month will cost $400 million, double the initial estimate β is needed to reinforce security features and provide a larger space to host foreign dignitaries. Trump has said the project is being funded with private donations.
The East Wing of the White House was built in 1942. WorkersΒ last October demolished it, even after Trump said the ballroom construction would not impact the building.Β
A federal appeals court this monthΒ upheld the lower court order that barred further construction of the ballroom above ground, but allowed for below-ground construction. The appeals court stayed its decision for 14 days to give the administration time to appeal to the Supreme Court.